Thursday 17 November 2011

Glee-Mash Off

Oh Glee Glee Glee; the light, bright, breezy (and insane) cover girl aspects of your character were back with a vengeance this week. Within the first 5 minutes we had a rendition of "Hot For Teacher" by Puck, the first half of which was terrible. It was done like a scene from the Breakfast Club on crack. There was a lot of glitter, sunglasses and pink tiger print. As I type that, it sounds awesome but it was such an abrupt contrast from the relatively still composure of last week that I found it all a bit too much. I felt like a hungover 80 year old being dropped in Times Square on New Years Eve. Total sensory overload. Luckily half way through it switched to a choir room performance, which involved Mike and Blaine doing hilarious Jarvis Cocker-esque things with their legs, so it's all good.

Gah, this episode has everything I didn't miss about last week. Loads of Will, loads of Quinn being deeply unpleasant and selfish and loads of Puck trying to seduce Shelby. Also a whole lot of Finn being a total dickwad. I know he's always been the de facto male leader of the group, but can we re-evaluate why that is again? What are his qualifications again? He doesn't have the best voice of the lot and he isn't the best dancer. Granted he always seems to come up with the ideas, but I'm sure the others have ideas. Is it because he's the tallest? Is that all it takes to be leader of a club; height and being able to shout over everyones ideas? If so, get me a pair of Manolo Blahnik's and a plane ticket to that school and I could be the leader in 6 minutes. It's a good comparison because I can neither sing nor dance and also I'm a total dickward. Although I'm not so much of one that I would have done what he did to Santana. Although she wasn't exactly a paragon of niceness or an example of the generally accepted way to treat people. The end slap was deeply satisfying even if Finn had, in fact, been saying nice things.

I don't have the energy to talk about the Quinn/Puck story lines because my opinions haven't changed. They've ruined her and he is just being creepy. End of. Well there is almost certainly more to talk about but, as I say, I just can't be bothered.

The two mash-ups were good though. Say what you like about Glee it can do one hell of a mash up. I enjoyed New Directions because a) their songs were good but b) (and this is much more important) we saw Puck, Mike, Blaine and Artie wearing Hall and Oats wigs, moustaches and outfits. Which was without a doubt the best things ever. I can't help but feel they should all look like that; it would make the whole school about 8 times more fun. As for The Trouble Tones *shudders*; their Adele mash up was great. Although we've had 4 Adele songs in the last 8 months which, when the show wasn't on air for 3 and half months, seems excessive. I mean I like Adele as much as the next person (well maybe not that much, because the next person seems to be REALLY into her) but can we please stop with Adele covers. We get it- she makes great songs but, maybe, lets give ourselves a break.

I've gone on record saying I don't like this Sue-Burt-runs-for-office-thing (though I did love Sue's videos even if they we're a little too close to the truth for absolute comfort.) Also, why must William be involved in all this- he ruins everything!

The issue of Kurt and Rachel fighting was sorted out this week. I hadn't realised how serious this apparently was; I thought it was minor annoyance not a 'block each other out of our lives' issue. Should pay more attention. Also, do we remember when Mercedes and Kurt where friends? When did this stop happening; it seems like it was years and years ago. Was there a reason for it? Again- should pay more attention. As you can tell; this episode reminded us just how 'stop-start' the character developments are on this show.

So now all the ephemeral issues about this weeks episode are out of the way, lets get serious for just a second. And I mean lets really, all jokes aside, talk about something that I brought up a couple of weeks ago and clearly requires some deep thought. In many ways it was actually the main theme of this week...

Kurt's hats.

I mean, for serious- what the hell! Tonight was like a stupid hat parade. I decided it was worth my time to go through the episode and screenshot all the ridiculous things he had on his head. The definition of "worth" barely phoning it in during that last sentence. 






Tragically the last one is clearly the best by a steady mile. But, he took it off to make a serious impassioned speech whereas he thought that wearing a riding hat was totally ok attire in a choir room scenario. Is this suddenly a Two Broke Girls episode and Chestnut is going to walk in? Also, that blue thing makes him look like he's wearing part of the cuppa soup monster's costume. All that said, winner of this weeks Stupid-Shit-The-Costume-Team-Put-On-Chris-Colfer's-Head award goes to number two. For two very crucial reasons:
  1. It's the worst thing I've ever seen.
  2. It's teamed with that hipster, vaguely middle east chic scarf thing, which is the third worst thing I've ever seen.

What's the second worst thing I ever seen, I hear you shout. The cuppa soup hug monster, obviously. That shit haunts my dreams.  

No comments:

Post a Comment