Monday 19 September 2011

Archer- The Heart of Archness Part I

The day I found Archer was a very good day indeed. It was like finding the missing part of my television jigsaw puzzle. It's the perfect show for a very large part of my personality. It's so willingly unpleasant in many ways and across board hilarious and offensive. I realise that reads like I'm willingly unpleasant, hilarious and offensive. But for better or worse (mainly better) that's not true, I hope. And although I'm sad by the lack of a real new season of Archer until January, I'll take what I can get frankly. The subtitle of this post is I'm so happy it's back. The content is basically stuff I enjoyed about his episode.

I love the records Archer broke while underwater. Minutes breath held and number of sharks shot in the face. It's lines like that I love about this show. In any situation however "life and death" they might seem, Archer is still spectacularly Archer-like. By that I mean, of course, off the charts arrogant and selfish. That said, the very plot of this episode show that inch-by-inch Archer is perhaps becoming a better person. He is (in his own way) actively grieving Katya's death, showing a personal investment in another human that has been hitherto unseen in the show. But he still maintains what we love about him, i.e. when he admits his marriage to Katya was doomed. This was just the right level of self aware. Linked to this is another detail I liked which was the little half shot of the Seamus tattoo. Even though Archer is often seemingly a random selection of hilarious set ups, it is very good at harking back to other episodes and plot points, like the gunfire in the ear running joke.This is what lifts it above Family Guy in some ways, which is not as good at continuing/developing it's main characters. Peter Griffin for example is never anything other than an insensitive shit- even after 10 seasons.

That's enough vague attempt at thinking critically, now more fun stuff I liked. That's the thing about Archer, I'm so blinded by love that I find it very difficult to critique it because all the time I'm watching it, all I want to do is sing about how much I love it.
- I love Cheryl/Carol. Who would want to use psycho-telekinetic powers for good? Although I fear for the world if she did gain them.
- “Big beautiful no limit unicorn” Classic Pam
- David Cross David Cross. I love that man's voice second only to H.Jon Benjamin. Everything he says is about 8 times funnier because he said it. Can't wait for more of him.
- The sexual activities of Mallory are also a source of constant amusement to me.
- My only complaint was the lack of Isis can, especially Krieger. I love that man and his van.
- Pirate Fortress! Love it
- “If five year old me knew that he'd get a massive boner”. I have a feeling I'm going to end up saying that more often than my housemates like.

Long live Archer the Pirate King, Jack Sparrow eat your heart out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment