Thursday 29 September 2011

Glee-The Purple Piano Project (PPP) & I Am Unicorn.(IAU)

Initially I was going to do these episodes separately, but then I kept on wanting to mention bits from both together so it's going to have to be a melange of the two of them.

So much change at Glee school, except not really. A little character shuffle around straight off the bat. I enjoyed the quick dispensing of Sam's character and the introduction of Mercedes boyfriend with little more than a 'how do you do'. Did anyone actually catch his name? Also I liked the blatant 'let's tell everyone what year people are in straight away to end the two year old debate'. After the housework was out the way, how did I like the season 3 openers? Generally I enjoyed them.

I really liked Kurt and Rachel being taken down a notch, not in a vindictive way but in an appreciation of some semblance of reality checking and realism. It highlights the ultimate tragedy of Glee- most of these kids will not end up on broadway or similar. Most will live quiet lives (that in itself is clearly not tragic). Also I liked them realising they are not the only talented kids in Ohio, this can only help their like-ability at this point (I'm looking at you Rachel). Also nice to see Lindsay playing herself. I'm joking...kind of. This was also developed in IAU with Kurt's realisation that he's going to be limited with the roles he can play and the chances he will be given because of certain manifestations of his personality. I'm impressed with the continuation of a character story line. Although it seems stupid that he would not understand that whilst delightful, his audition song was completely the wrong song to use when auditioning for Tony. Also on what planet,  when wanting to prove how rugged and manly you are, does anyone whip out Shakespearian dialogue. See later for further discussion of that. I am significantly annoyed with the ending of this conversation between Finn and Rachel (I'm massively paraphrasing)

F-What's wrong about staying here and working for Burt
R-Nothing if it would make you happy
Up to this point I'm on board
R-But I don't think it would because YOU ARE BETTER THAN THAT.

Er ex squeeze me? Not cool, although I fully believe in the importance of the arts and arts education,  is it really ok to say that a actor/singer is better than a car mechanic. No Glee! It's not for two reasons. One, its bullshit; no profession is better than another, all professions (with he exclusion of Nazi Doctor and Corporate lawyer, perhaps) are equally important and valuable in society. Secondly, it perpetuates the myth that it's not bullshit; we live in a society that significantly favours the arts in terms of the level of status it awards people. Everyone wants to be a star, no one wants to be a mechanic and this is tragic. Do we really need to perpetuate that this hierarchy is a justifiable way of seeing the world. No. Simple as that.


Quinn's story line (mainly in PPP) highlights an issue I've always had with Glee; surely 'the Skanks' are the underdogs of Mckinley more than the Glee kids. The Glee club members are all very conventionally attractive and talented. They all have (to a certain extent), a strong support system in terms of friends and Mr Shu. 'The Skanks' seem a lot more vulnerable and  closer to what I would call 'underdogs' in terms of eventual success and high-school hierarchy than any of our friends do. That said, the continuation of this story line (two for two Glee- well done!) bought up two things that I said I wanted from season 3 (and we're only two episodes in, again, well done Glee!).

A) We have a mention of the fact that Quinn had a baby and gave it up. More importantly, we have mention that this kind of shit has repercussions emotionally; on both her and Puck. I loved him drawing the Clown Pig, possibly my favourite moment for his character in the entire show so far.

B) Similarly, Quinn never seemed to thank Mercedes for letting her live in the Jones Family house after she was taken in by her family when she was homeless and pregnant. For an entire season we ignored this and now it's back. I doubt it's going to get bought up again, but just the fact that anyone dared to mention it made me stupidly happy. All that said, was it just me that thought Will's take down was just a little bit harsh, especially given that Quinn fundamentally is just the right side of troubled? She needed a wake up call, yes, but also needs support and understanding. I guess you could argue that she's always had that, but still, was it Will at his most professional?

This brings me on to a discussion of Will seemingly gaining a back bone ,which I appreciate and obviously I will love him forever for bringing up the Mercedes point. I still wanted to punch him in the face most of the time. But that's maybe just how it has to be between us. Also, although he was right about arts programs being beneficial for young people... glitter bomb- really, really?! Why not just take her down with statistics in a public debate forum? That would be the mature sensible thing to do. Oh sorry,  this is Will Schuester I'm talking about, forget I said anything, a glitter bomb is a great idea! Jesus Wept. Also, I love that he can't possibly direct the musical because he's too buys with his hectic schedule of writing words on a wipe board and showing off. So lets bring in the only other two teachers who seemed to exist (other than Sue). Although I hate to agree with Rachel they have feck all experience, but they do exist which is more than can be said for all the other teachers in that school. Also since when has Artie made short films? Were we meant to know that?

I knew Blaine was going to transfer which I'm fine with, but I would have rather had him transfer for reasons more to do with him wanting to face bullies again or a sudden, if not conveniently timed, descent into poverty. Transferring schools for a relationship at 17 is just stupid and no parent should have let it happen. Are we really meant to believe that his parents would let him do that especially if they are, as has been suggested. not super ok with his sexuality? Also, hasn't Blaine ever heard of trying to avoid new guy stigma? I hardly think the student body in general are going to warm to you if you keep disrupting their lunch with renditions of Tom Jones songs, charming as they may be. People like to eat in peace.

As for the conflict over the role of Tony; it is, at least, surely down to song choice- he chose a song that displayed, both song-wise and acting-wise, what was necessary for the role. Kurt chose a vocally challenging song, but it was challenging in all the wrong ways for that role. A lot of me doesn't really believe that Kurt wouldn't be able to see that. All that said, I like seeing more of these two. So much so, I'm willing to overlook the fact that in Season 2 Blaine referred to himself as a Junior member which means that he should now be a senior like Kurt, but apparently not. Oh well we'll just have to live with the fact Blaine is some Benjamin Button type. Side note- although I love his many multi coloured bow ties; could he not just buy fewer and get some mother funking socks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment